Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Honestly Corrupt Traffic Cop

Last week I was driving to office with my colleague with whom I carpool. We were lost in the conversation and turning around a bend when I saw the white hand outstretched ahead of my car. Sadly it was no angel but a traffic havaldar supposedly doing his duty.

I had inadvertently broken a traffic signal. Now the time to bribe… the thing about Indian cops, any type of them , is that you safely assume that they are susceptible to bribing. If you meet one who doesn’t take one, you should buy a lottery ticket that day.

Here I was getting out of my car thinking how much I would lose… I chided myself to be more careful next time. I walked up to the cop and tried to walk out the mess by making a excuse that the tempo ahead prevented me from getting the view of the signal which probably was true had I even bothered to look at the signal. By the way, the tempo too had been caught. Anyways the cop was too old in this trade to be deceived by me and gave me a lamer reason why I was in the wrong but I was in no mood to argue.

I said that I would pay the fine whatever it was.. ya the official fine, no bribe. But then he played his card and I was dejected… I need not bother buying any lottery today. He wanted me to deposit my license and then collect it the next day from the chowki where I could pay the OFFICIAL fine. 75% of the folks would not want to take such pains to be OFFICIAL and that day I was one of them. I asked him what would it take to rub of the incident under the carpet and offered him 100 bucks. He nodded and while I struggled to pull out my wallet which seemed unusually heavy,he made small talk with me inquiring about my residence, place of work, my good name.. etc. Then he said some stuff that they too are forced to take bribes as they too have targets to achieve. And all this while we thought targets are only for corporate guys like us.

I paid and looked up for the nod that would allow me again to pilot my vehicle when the most amazing thing appeared. In went the hand in his pocket and though the 100 disappeared out came quite some 10’s. As I tried to make sense of the situation, the cop calmly counted 5 of them and handed them to me.

Seeing my blank look, the cop explained himself, while the fine was 100 bucks, bribe had a 50% discount going on and hence the balance was being refunded. Then adding a bit a spiritualism, he said that we come empty handed and leave empty handed in this cycle of life and what would he do taking more money than he needed.

I laughed all way back and wondered whether the cop was really that honest to all or was it a case of ‘Me Marathi… Amhi Marathi’.

I just wish that the cop rather uses the money to tutor his kids in ‘Dhirubhai Ambani International School ’ than to drown it on ‘Kingfisher’ strongs.

8 comments:

  1. Super! Rahul...this was hilarious....shucks...50% off on Bribe...great reading..and welcome to the Blogosphere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its gr8... and welcome to bloggers community... here is my exp. with one of the not so honest hawaldar and poor little honest me :(

    "I actually had a similar encounter last saturday while coming to the office but mine was not exactly so good :P

    mera case aisa tha ki signal was green and ppl running to corss the square by the time i reached to crossing it turned RED. All my fellow vehicals broke the signal and crossed the signal happily. I thought of being honest and stopped where i was and srarted pulling my bike backword. Here come the stange thing even being aware of the situation the Mamu came and caought me.

    Worse part is he also checked my PUC which was expired just a day before and I didnt realize it until the Mamu checked it.. and thats how I bribed him 100 bucks to get out of the soup and sale thru"

    Me too now Hoping that my Rs.100 contribution goes to some good cause. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Ra ... Finally u have arrived on the blog scene .... gud work .. enjoyed reading the experience i saw live ;) ...
    N Sid ... urs too was a funny one ... keep reminders for the next time ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rahul mujhe lagta hai hawaldaar ko tujh mein kuch dikh gaya.....shayad uska dil aa gaya tujh jaise gabru jawaan ko dekh kar....

    Anyways...the incident is worth posting in a newspaper....why don't you try contacting a editor :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rahul...good start and nice story to start with. I remember you narrating it to me on the same day it happened. Honesty in dishonesty. Choro ke bhi usool hotey hain types :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice nice! I already knew u had the writing skill in u. A long time ago! Remember that first novel! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, the other day I went thru a similar experience.... a police officer asked for Rs300 bribe to pass my passport's police verification...and I told him that I barely had 300 with me and had to commute further to reach home...surprisingly.. the asking rate came down to Rs. 200 :)

    ReplyDelete